- Operates under The Dawson Creek Youth Centre Society & is a non-profit organization
- The Ark began in 1989 and has been in operation for 29 years
- Our mandate is to create an exciting environment and to provide a positive, affordable alternative where all kids are valued and can participate.
- The target age range is between six and eighteen years
- Currently an average of 200 kids come to The Ark from the community on any given week September through April. Our summer programs are bringing in 20 – 40 youth and young people (ages 12-30).
- All youth are encouraged to come and are valued as individuals.
- Presently we offer ball-hockey programs, skateboarding, BMX biking, 3 on 3 basketball tournaments (summer), Friday Drop-in w/ PS2 & Wii video game systems, billiards, etc.
- The Ark has over 30 volunteer coaches, referees, youth workers, concession staff and board members.
- Volunteers put in over 200 hours per month during the Fall/Winter programs.
- Paid staff include a part time administrator, a part time janitor and a full time youth director.
- The Ark’s financial support:
-25% of the revenue comes from leagues, drop-in and concession revenues
-60% comes from private donations from over 100 individuals as well as businesses and corporations
-the remaining portion comes from fundraising activities, service clubs, churches and associations
- Each year The Ark hosts a fundraising banquet. Each banquet hosts a special guest speaker featured from Sports figures to youth workers. The purpose of the banquet is to inform our supporters of what’s going on at The Ark as well as to offer our thanks and raise funds.
- Currently, The Ark does not receive any financial assistance from any level of government.
- The Ark has received national attention in which people from across the country are requesting information on how to start an Ark in their community.